Thursday, August 30, 2012

Vocation and Calling

I have been thinking a lot about vocation and calling recently.

There is so much to say. But for now I want to concentrate on some words that really touched me a few years ago and the key truth that I think they express beautifully.

In 1928, in St Mary's Hospital in London, Alexander Flemming discovered Penicillin. It is difficult to overstate the significance of this or the effect it has had on the world in the past 84 years. This plaque sits just outside the laboratory where Flemming worked. When I visited the lab I noticed it and asked the guide about it. He told me this was put up in Flemming's lifetime and he approved of the wording.

Very few of us will have as dramatic effect on the world as Flemming did. But whatever we do, I believe if we do it for the glory of God and for the benefit of the people who's lives we touch then we are very much living out a vocation.

I also think that if you haven't found your calling yet, working in this way in the meantime means that whatever you actually do, it can be of immense value.

Just some thoughts.

AFZ

No comments: